Thursday, September 25, 2008

Two weeks... begin the journey

"How do you solve a problem like Turducken?" I've heard conflicting perspectives on the subject of boning birds. No, not philandering, I'm talking ducks and chickens. Various blog and vlog sources give simple pedestrian guides on the subject while others say, don't do you dare, don't even think of doing this yourself. I've been a flip flopper as I read the mass of articles. All of the sources state that you can take a day or two before the Big Day to bone the birds so that you're not wasting precious basting time on surgical tasks. So, with time aside I believe my biggest qualm is stomaching the sound of flesh leaving bone, etc. But lets agree right now that if it comes down to a DIY dissection it will be after all of Seattle's resources have been tapped. Either way, I should become well read on the topic of avian anatomy.
Here we go:
#1 University Seafood & Poultry. My top choice and an overall awesome place to go, if only to chat up the old coots who work the counter and flush the streets after big deliveries. Months ago I spoke with a few guys there about boning birds. And I thought I was set until today when I called I spoke to some older female who shall not be named. "We have Turduckens around the Holidays." "Well, do you bone birds other times?" "No no, its far far to time consuming." "Any other places you know of who might?" "No" I gave her a nice little irritated OK, then thanks and hung up.
#2 QFC at Broadway Market. This chain annoys me and this location is bordering on department store in its size and, well, departments. However, absolutely friendliest service compared to my favorite little Indy market of the U district. I told the woman in the meat department the project and I got the answer I wanted. Not so hard after all. They don't normally carry duck but if I ordered today they would get it by Saturday. And she said "Boning the birds takes 10-15 minutes" That sounds about right since I've seen Youtube videos of chefs boning birds in under 5 minutes.
#3 Would have been Whole Foods (Paycheck) and probably wouldn't have benefitted the funding of our stuffings.
I would not say that the hard part is over yet but I can say, +1 for Broadway Market QFC! Here's looking at you Turducken!

No comments: